RiffShot ~ Getting A Pulse on Jazz Living

“Our interpretation of reality become memories, and the memories spontaneously trigger transformations without our knowing it. These memories are everywhere.” Deepak Chopra, M.D.

Enigma’s Touchness

I realized when I studied and received a Master’s degree in Human Anatomy & Neuroscience in 1979 that what we see and touch we become. This is what is called somatization which is the conversion of a mental state, i.e., anxiety into physical symptoms. When I was five years old, I was never aware that I was somatizing as a reaction to my father’s insistence in my staying away from all things creative to focus on becoming a doctor. I became a victim of my ideas and thoughts of not being able to follow my heart. I excelled in school and was a bit of a tomboy nerd filled with anxiety and a sense of hopelessness. I skipped the 11th grade and graduated at sixteen, starting Rutgers University and being accepted to medical school when I was eighteen (18). I was miserable and withdrew after the first year. I got the Master’s degree so all would not be lost. I guess I was depressed all those years, but not in the clinical sense, I became anxious, and developed insomnia because I couldn’t shut my brain off. I developed survival skills to cope, I was afraid to fall asleep. After graduating I worked for my father for a while then I ventured out and worked as a paralegal. I was not a happy camper. I was just going through the motions. This lasted until October 1990 when I was paralyzed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (“GBS”). That was my body’s first wake up call. According to Chopra, “The body is a field of ideas, and the body you’re experiencing right now is an expression of all the ideas you have about it.”

Jazzoetry Collage

Jazzoetry Collage

Being in a wheelchair for two (2) months through the holidays was one of my most frightening experiences I had ever experienced. I was a AAU sprint runner and swimmer in junior high school winning trophies; I played tennis in high school and college winning tournaments. When I was in the hospital, my father would not come to visit me because he didn’t believe it was a real illness and felt it was all in my head. He thought that all I needed to do was get a job. Well he was right about the head thing. Chopra further affirms “…when your idea that your body gets imbalanced because of environmental changes, these ideas translate into chemical changes in the body.” GBS was caused by a viral pharyngeal flu I contracted a few months before and mutated and attacked my myelin sheaths that controlled my skeletal muscles rendering me paralyzed. Plasmapheresis treatment and a change in my lifestyle spontaneously caused me to be able to walk with a cane after a year and a half of intensive physical therapy.

Chopra sums it up the best, “You participate in creating your own reality by interpreting your sensory experience…the world is a construct of your interpretations. When the rhythms of your body-mind are in sync with nature’s rhythm, everything is effortless and the universe flows through you in a joyful ecstasy.” I firmly believe that and that belief is what helped me to survive breast cancer in 2000, ten years later.to this very moment.  When life tosses a troupe, a riff, a lick or just throws you off your rhythm  I stop, breathe deep, create a mindful meditation to get a pulse on my life and then, I kick off my shoes and see myself  dancing on the shores of life inviting me to step into it…. How about you?  JBC 8-)
Copyright © 2011-2014 by Jannat Marie/Jazzybeatchick. All rights Reserved.

This material has been copyrighted,  feel free to share it with others; it can be distributed via social media or pingbacks or added to websites; please do not change the original content and, provide appropriate credit by including the author’s name @ http://jazzybeatchick.com and your readers shall not be charged by you under any circumstance.

, , , , , ,

1. #1 by skywalkerstoryteller on January 31, 2014 - 8:19 pm

You’re blessed with a very strong will and spirit. In just two months I saw a man who was known for his physical and community strength, succumb to Guillien Barre and his body wilted until he left this earth. He wasn’t as young as you, but he wasn’t too old. Such is life. Thanks for sharing your triumphs and illuminations.

• #2 by Jazzybeatchick on February 1, 2014 - 6:56 am

Thank you very much. I live with the deficits and yes I was blessed. I have a few friends, one walks with a cane and the others are on respirators. You never know so that’s why I am thankful for everything and everyone in God’s blessed univers. Thanks for sharing. In Joy & Light, JBC 8-)

2. #3 by navigator1965 on January 30, 2014 - 5:24 pm

Nice post, JBC. Thank you.

• #4 by Jazzybeatchick on January 30, 2014 - 9:54 pm

You are welcome. Smilin on the inside! JBC 8-)

3. #5 by Victor Uriz on January 30, 2014 - 9:18 am

If ya get the chance check out my post “In the Flow” as it relates to your topic, in a humorous manner. Good job on your post and with your insights. Victor

• #6 by Jazzybeatchick on January 30, 2014 - 9:27 am

Right On! Here’s to the lighter side of medical catastrophies. JBC 8-)

4. #7 by Rob Taylor on January 30, 2014 - 8:58 am

I had similar perspectives through two very intense battles with a rare form of cancer. I had been spiritually active for decades before the cancer and that was reflected in both battles. It never occurred to me that I would not survive. Over seven years since the second incident.

• #8 by Jazzybeatchick on January 30, 2014 - 9:09 am

I found that to be true especially when I was in a wheelchair I began listening to the outside noise of folks. It happened the second time when I was diagnosed, I abandoned all of my spiritual healing and bought into it again, until I hit the wall of deafening noise and came out of remission 5 more times. Now I go within and let my soul be guided by God’s love and compassion. Thanx for sharing Rob. JBC 8-)

5. #9 by Eli Pacheco on January 30, 2014 - 8:57 am

Sometimes, just taking that stanza off, resetting yourself, can make all the difference. It was like that when I was in a jazz band, too, that sometimes, you get lost, or frustrated, but if you stop and listen, you can find your way again. Thank you for the reminder.

• #10 by Jazzybeatchick on January 30, 2014 - 9:11 am

Right On! Thanx for commenting. JBC 8-)

• #11 by Eli Pacheco on January 30, 2014 - 12:39 pm

Thanks for giving me something good to comment on!

• #12 by Jazzybeatchick on January 30, 2014 - 1:55 pm

You are profoundly Welcome! JBC 8-)

6. #13 by El Guapo on January 30, 2014 - 8:57 am

I’m glad to hear you got out of the chair, and thumped breast cancer to boot!

Also glad Deepak’s quote works for you. buyt

• #14 by Jazzybeatchick on January 30, 2014 - 9:13 am

Working on it. Nothing is absolute. JBC8-)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,498 other followers